Thursday, February 11, 2010

Digital Nation

Living in a world where cell phones, ipods, and computers are almost necessities, it is hard to imagine a time when these items were simply luxuries. My generation and generations to follow will be exposed to ever-improving new technologies. While my grandmother sits back and watches all of these new technologies develop, my younger cousins embrace the new technologies and could never imagine not having the world at their fingertips. Initially, I believed that the more technology we have, the better off we are. However, after watching the first few minutes of Digital Nation, I realize that there are some negative effects of advancing technology.

The concept of multi-tasking comes into play very often when people use new technology. As exemplified in the video, students are faced with multi-tasking situations daily. I never considered myself to be a good multi-tasker, but I can definitely say that the more I am faced with technology, the more used to it I am becoming. I am certainly more able to be on the computer, cell phone, and ipod than my parents are. However, using three technologies at once distracts me from giving one of them my full attention. Clearly, this can lead to problems when schoolwork is in the mix. It is now apparent that I need to make sure I use technology responsibly and do not let it get in the way of my priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment